Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I'm a New Health Crusader

I remember a debate in a staff room over colas, ice-cream and other 'junk' like pizzas and cheese sandwiches and whether we should allow them in the canteen.

Colas were definitely out at that time due to the raging controversy over pesticide content. The fate of the others hung in the balance and hence remained on the menu.

I'm a recent convert to the ranks of those who value fitness and health. Just finished reading a book called "Eat, Drink and be Healthy" by Walter Willett, professor at Harvard. If you're interested in kids and nutrition at school or just plain interested in learning more about health eating for yourself and your family, you just Have to get this book.

For those who, like me, didn't know about their carbohydrates from their proteins, its a great start. I wish I had this book in that staff room that day. I don't know whether it would have pruned our menu a little more, but it definitely would have made the teachers more aware.


No comments: